1) Sciatica has different causes, and treatments need to take into account. Sciatica is pain, tingling, or numbness produced by an irritation of the nerve roots that lead to the sciatic nerve.
A comprehensive examination is needed to determine whether the condition is caused by disc-related sciatica or whether stenosis, mechanical spinal conditions and spinal joint restriction, or nerve entrapment are contributing to your leg pain. The results of that examination will determine the next steps in treatment.
2) There are many simple therapies to complement chiropractic treatment. While getting treatment for sciatica pain releif, there are several simple, convenient ways to promote healing while at home or other places. Basic hot or cold therapy can be used, as well as being careful about sitting and standing positions. Our staff is mindful of ways that patients can assist the healing process that don’t require high-dollar equipment.
3) Although the pain can be severe, the treatment often isn’t. Patients who seek treatment for sciatica pain releif are often surprised to find how successful chiropractic care is at resolving symptoms. Treatments often provide relief quickly, and many cases are treated to a comfortable level within a matter of weeks.
Symptoms of sciatica include:
- Leg pain and/or low back pain, with the leg pain typically being more severe than the low back pain.
- Constant pain in one side of the buttock or leg, but only rarely both sides
- Pain that feels better when lying down or walking, but worse when standing or sitting
- “Sharp” or searing pain, rather than dull
- Sometimes a “pins-and-needles” sensation, numbness or weakness, or a prickling sensation down the leg